2.5-D & Engraved Relief Plaques, One to Three Colors
WELCOME TO OUR 2.5-D PLAQUES PAINTED IN 1-3 COLORS (STYLE CATEGORY 1.1.5 , PRICE CODE CD)
Welcome to our photo gallery and description of two-and-a-half dimensional (2.5-D) flat-relief plaques painted in 1 to 3 colors (price code CD). About 10% of the plaques we make are in this style category. These are beautiful plaques at very affordable prices. There is no art fee for custom 2.5-D plaques (unlike custom 3-D plaques), and because we use efficient machine and hand-crafted fabrication techniques, we can produce these for reasonable labor costs.
The term "2.5-D relief" may not be familiar to you, but it is used in the sign & plaque industry to describe a surface profile that has raised or engraved flat areas that do not have rounded or curved elevation profiles. Those are referred to as 3-D bas-relief or low-relief (named after the ancient Greek and Roman 1/4 relief sculptures on wall friezes). Our 3-D plaques take 3 to 5 times as long to carve and hand-paint, hence have considerably higher prices. 2.5-D carved plaques look better than 2-D flat signs, because certain areas like text and artwork "pop" off the background, and can look just as good as 3-D signs. It is difficult to tell the difference between a 2.5-D plaque and a 3-D plaque from more than 20 feet away.
We make four different styles of 2.5-D carved plaques, which look quite different from each other.These are as follow:(1) two-level flat relief; (2) multi-level flat relief; (3) outline relief; (4) engraved relief; (5) any combinations of (1) through (4). These are all described below. Examples of these are shown in the photo gallery below. All five styles have the same prices.
- Two-level flat relief usually has the text, artwork and borders which have flat surfaces raised at the same level by 1/4 inch to 1 inches above a flat background, which may or may not be sandblasted. The background is at the lowest elevation, text and borders are at the highest.
- Multi-level relief is the same as (1) above, except different areas of the artwork are raised at different elevations above the background to give the impression they are further distance from a viewer, For example, the artwork of a tree in the foreground of a lake with a mountain and a sky in the background would have the tree raised the highest above the lowest background, the lake might be 1/2 inch lower, the mountains in the background another 1/4 inch lower, and the sky would be the lowest area on the plaque. The text, borders and tree would be the highest. We usually have 3 or 4 levels, but sometimes have as many as 6 or 8 for complex artworks. All levels have flat, rather than curved surfaces.The background is at the lowest elevation, text and borders are at the highest level (i.e., closest to the viewer).
- Outline relief has raised ridges to accentuate the artwork and designate different objects, rather than different levels. The internal areas of the artwork are lower than these outlines, This type of 2.5-D relief is typically used for very complex artwork that has lots of lines. It is the inverse of engraved relief in the next paragraph.
- Engraved relief is similar to laser engraving, except we make the engravings deeper with a router. The entire surface of the plaque is left flat, except lines and sometimes areas are carved into the flat surface. The areas designated by the carved lines are usually painted different colors , and the lines are painted a contrasting color such as black or white. The lines can be V-carved (with a V-shaped elevation profile, like the Romans used to carve stone) or a flat-bottom profile. We often engrave text in a V-carved style. Engraved relief is less susceptible to damage than outline relief ((3) above) because the carved areas are protected by the flat surface, rather than protruding from it. Smaller features can be engraved than can be carved in a raised style. In this style, the background is at the highest elevation, text and borders are at the lowest.
- Combinations of any of the styles above. We often combine two of the styles described above on the same plaque. Multi-level and engraved relief are often combined. with small features (e.g., tiny text ) engraved in a flat lower area such as a banner. V-carved engraved text is often used with multi-level or two-level carved artwork.
We design and fabricate beautiful and striking 2.5-D painted plaques each year featuring the seals, crests and logos of governments, the military, police & sheriffs, universities, clubs, businesses and families. Each plaque is custom crafted by our experienced and skilled craftsmen and artisans. We use make these impressive and authentic plaques moisture-proof, non-fading, graffiti-resistant and long-lasting. We design and fabricate hundreds of beautiful, hand-painted 2.5-D two or three-color painted plaques each year.
The plaques on this page are painted in 2 or 3 colors; 2.5-D plaques do not show well when painted in a single color, whereas some 3-D plaques do. Plaques in this style are our least expensive plaques (except for acrylic plaques in Category 1.4). We design and fabricate beautiful and elegant 2.5-D painted plaques each year featuring the seals, crests and logos of government agencies, courts, the military, police & sheriffs, universities, clubs, businesses and families. Each plaque is custom crafted by our experienced and skilled craftsmen and artisans. We use several different techniques to make these impressive and authentic plaques, which are moisture-proof, non-fading, graffiti-resistant and long-lasting. We design and fabricate hundreds of beautiful, hand-painted 2.5-D two or three color painted plaques each year.
Our plaques are painted, in bright colors or more subtle muted or metallic colors. This page describes and shows photos of examples of carved 2.5-D plaques that are painted in 2 or 3 colors. We also offer three other styles of carved painted plaques with higher prices: (1) 3-D relief, 4 or more colors (price code CA); (2) 2.5-D relief, 4 or more colors (price code CB), and (3) 3-D relief, 1 to 3 colors (price code CC). The prices for each of these styles for various sized plaques is given on the PRICE web page, listed by price code and size. The plaques on this page have price code CD.
It typically takes 1 to 2 hours for an artist to paint one plaque of this style. It make take 2 or 3 days in our paint shop to paint the colors, because each color has to dry in our heated drying room before the next color is applied next to it or over it. The photos in the Gallery below show examples of typical 2.5-D plaques painted with 2 or 3 colors; we have over 100 photos of this style of plaque scattered throughout the plaque TYPE pages of this website.
PLEASE CONTACT US
The prices for this style for various size plaques is given on the PRICE webpage (click here or on PRICE in gold masthead) , listed under Style Category 1.1.5. Or, you can fill out and submit our on-line Request a quote form. You can also call or email us for a price quote on a specific plaque. Our knowledgeable and helpful Customer Service Representatives, Christie and Regina, will respond to your request promptly. You can call us at 951-698-8484 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will work with you to design and build the exact plaque you want. We would like to make your plaque, and we are confident that you will be pleased with it. We take great pride in every product we make for our valued clients. We offer a 2 year warranty on all our products, and our indoor plaques will last many decades without degradation.
You can go to another Section or Gallery page by clicking on an item in the pull-down menus in the gold masthead at the top of the page. You can search for a specific plaque type (e.g., "FBI" ) by entering the key word in the search box in the upper right of the gold masthead. You can view a list and use the navigation bar for all 24 Gallery types by viewing the silver box on the left side of the HOME page. You can also view different types of plaques for different customer groups (e.g., State Courts or US Coast Guard) by clicking on the TYPE section in the gold masthead above. You can view a description of all of the different plaque styles by clicking on the plaque STYLE section also listed in the gold masthead.
To request information, a design, a quote, or to place an order, click on the text (e.g., "contact ", " quote", " file" or " order") in the upper right of the gold masthead at the top of this page. All prices are given on the PRICE page in the gold masthead.
For more information on design options, prices and delivery times, please call us at 951-698- 8484 or email us at email@example.com, and our knowledgeable and friendly customer service representatives Christie and Regina will be pleased to help you.